Tuesday 29 May 2012

Has the Olympic torch gone out?

The Olympic torch came through my village this afternoon. The disruption to traffic was huge - as were the crowds. We have never seen so many people here before. Or so many police. I lost count of how many police motorcyclists came through. Not to mention other vehicles. It's not really for people who care about carbon footprints.

This is the best photograph I was able to get.

It looks like the flame has gone out though. Which brings to mind a conversation I overheard in the crowd earlier about the reserve flames that were being kept in Davy Lamp like devices. Somebody said that they were all the same flame - but are they? Four - I think it is - separate flames that are all the same! This prompts a number of thoughts. So ...

I shall return to this sometime in the future.